Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Fool me once...we got fooled...again.

Sometimes I get frustrated with the whole process and find myself favoring the philosopher king route over democracy. Of course I always base this on the assumption that I'd be invited to join their ranks. But then I wonder what would happen if I wound up on the outside because of some superficial and ultimately meaningless trait, like height (fucking sperm banks). So democracy it is.

Your question about leadership qualities segways nicely into a couple of points I'd like to make. Namely, that any public official who howled about the "rule of law" during the Clinton impeachment, and is now crying that perjury and obstruction of justice are mere technicalities is a rank hypocrite. Outing Valerie Plame was treacherous, if not technically treasonous, and immoral, if not technically illegal. The whole "Clinton only lied about a blow job" line is perfectly valid here. You are a clever sophist my friend, but there is simply no squaring this circle. And really, what's with this insane Republican/fundamentalist notion that morality is to be judged primarily, exclusively even, by two metrics: one's sexual behavior and acceptance of ancient myths?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what you're saying is that Bush is a better person, and a better president, simply because he hasn't cheated on his wife. It's irrelevant. Let's be clear here: NOTHING the right went after Clinton for was legitimate. You don't like how he handled Kosovo, Bosnia, Rwanda, Colombia, welfare reform, etc...that's fair. But the 8 years of constant garbage attacks were not. The GOP went miles beyond criminalizing politics; in fact, they more or less criminalized being Bill Clinton. Yet somehow outing an undercover CIA agent who worked on the black market for weapons of mass destruction--an act that any reasonable person can agree ran contrary to the nation's interest--is now just politics, and persecuted politics at that?

Have you any opinion on the slew of recent reports that George W Bush is prone to berating anyone in earshot, that he's perpetually snapping because he can't tolerate being questioned? Granted, these are rumors, but they strike me as accurate for a number of reasons I'll delineate in a later post. Needless to say, such choleric temperment doesn't wear well on a man so long bejeweled in the status of magnanimous heavyweight. Now we're finally privy to his true character--a petulant, sheltered, and spoiled pile of mediocrity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home