Monday, October 31, 2005

Seriously, are pants that hard to keep on?

Quick summary points:
1) I think President Bush has more moral character than Clinton, yes.
2) I agree with you re: the rule of law. If someone lied about the leak, or what they knew, or whom told who what, then they belong in jail. It's against the law to lie to a grand jury. Period. Doesn't matter why, or where, or the underlying crime. Clinton lied? Bad. Libby lied? Bad.
3) Sidenote: Your line on criminalizing "being Bill Clinton" reminds me of a Chris Rock piece: "They was charging him with stuff I didn't even know was crimes. 'Oh, he gave her some gifts'. So what? That's his friend. You can't give your friend gifts..." Classic.
4) If I'm invited to become a philosopher-king (since I'm much taller) I'll make sure you get an invite. Otherwise, with whom shall I enjoy bacchnalian revelery?

Okay, on to the main point: I'll look forward to responses to my question regarding what qualities we should care about in choosing our nation's leaders. But I think how a man (or woman) chooses to conduct his personal life is appropriate to consider, given my previous post on the changing nature of politics.
I'm reminded of the old adage that "A man's character is what he does when he thinks no one is looking." A man who will cheat on his wife is a man who will cheat me. Maybe not today, or tomorrow, but it shows his willingness to cross that line. Now, I've never been married, but it seems like not having sex with other women wouldn't be as hard to observe as, I don't know, not speeding. You just don't have sex with other women. I could be wrong, it could be much harder than that, but I kind of doubt it.
Does this mean we should take adulterers outside and shoot them? No, of course not, but I think it's a fair point of discussion when choosing elected officials. As was President Bush's arrest for DUI. They are instances of bad judgment.

Sidenote #2: I like the appointment of Judge Alito, though I was holding out hope for Judges McConnell or Luttig.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home